The International Fluid Power Society expects to release an updated mobile hydraulic mechanic certification by the end of the year.
The certification is designed for individuals who fabricate, assemble, test, maintain, and repair systems and components. The mechanic should understand hydraulic symbols, read system schematics, and be skilled in using hand tools, power tools, micrometres, and testing equipment.
The upgraded MHM Study Manual compiles all the information necessary to pass both the written (knowledge) and job performance (practical ability) certification tests.
Improvements and updates in the new MHM Study Manual include:
- Principles of operation, explained for commonly found components within a mobile hydraulic system – pumps, valves, actuators, and accessories.
- Colour-coded cutaway illustrations of hydraulic components to aid in understanding operation.
- Updated symbology is ISO 1219 standard compliant.
- Expanded content on troubleshooting includes decision-tree aids.
- Detailed content on pressure, flow, and directional control valves.
- Improved graphics throughout and real-life photos assist visualization.
- Basic hydraulic calculations useful in troubleshooting.
- Safety tips.
- Basic principles of electrohydraulic control – open loop and closed loop.
- Electrohydraulic valves.
- Sensors used in electrohydraulic systems.